Thursday, April 26, 2012

Delta Gamma Parents Weekend

I recently joined the sorority Delta Gamma, and two weekends ago was our parents weekend; a weekend where our parents can meet our sisters and see what we are doing at Penn State. I was really excited since I hadn't been home or seen my parents since Christmas break. It had been 4 months! Anyways, my mom, dad, and little brother came up for three days and we did various activities. On Friday my family, my boyfriend, Maureen (from class) and her parents, and I all went out to dinner. I was nervous to see how my parents would interact with Maureen's parents; my parents are quite goofy and embarrassing. But, the parents hit it off right away, and we were at dinner for a good three hours, and then we went to Kiwi (YUM!) and stayed until close; Maureen and I practically had to drag our parents out of there. The next day the boys went golfing and my mom and I got breakfast and went shopping; it was nice to spend time with her. Later that day my sorority had planned a "cocktail hour" at a frat house; yes, my parents were semi-introduced to Penn State Fratland. I do have to say that the frat boys cleaned their house very well, and that the food was pretty good. The cocktail was an hour of eating appetizers, drinking, and trying to socialize, but honestly just getting stuck in a corner with your family because there was no where to move. Later that night there was "music and mingling" at the frat. Basically this meant that it would be a typical social, just with parents. This idea was a little strange to me; I wasn't sure I wanted my parents to see Penn State students playing flip cup or beer pong or worse, actually joining in on these activities. I avoided the party and went out to dinner with my family and my sorority sister Emily's family at the Nittany Lion Inn. I had been to the inn for a special function before and the food was amazing, so I had high hopes for this dinner. I was sadly disappointed. The dinner menu was very small, with limited choices, and high prices. But, all in all I had a nice time during dinner. The next morning my sorority had a brunch at Toftrees. My dinner was made up for! There was a huge buffet with anything you could think of-eggs, french toast, pancakes, potatoes, pasta, fruit, salad, made to order omelets, and more! Oh and I can't forget about dessert-chocolate fudge cake, three types of cheesecake, brownies, truffles, coffee cake, cookies, and much much more-I'm quite the sweet tooth!
The brunch ended around 12, and the weekend came to an end too soon. My family had to head back right away, 9 hours is a long time to drive. I was so glad that they got to come visit me, I had such a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment